Operations Manager - Central Operations
We have an exciting opportunity in the Central Operations team for an Operations Manager. The role will primarily be to manage the operations for conferences and exhibitions for portfolios operating in various sectors, such as Energy, Transport, Internet Retailing, Life Sciences and Defence.
- Manage the operational delivery of a number of medium - large events in the UK and worldwide from conception to completion
- Manage event operations budgets, future planning & forecasting in line with budget expectations and report to MDs and Portfolio Directors
- Work across a variety of portfolios planning and managing multiple events/projects at the same time
- Supplier sourcing, contract negotiation and management of relationships with venues and all suppliers
- Knowledge and understanding of venue contract and terms and conditions terminology
- Liaise with the event team including production, marketing, sales, and finance to ensure maximum awareness of all event elements
- Able to think outside the box and come up with innovative ideas that make their events stand out
- Production and timely communication of correct and detailed technical information for exhibitors, including producing an exhibitor manual/zone
- Ensure delivery and fulfilment of all sponsorship and exhibitor packages as sold by the portfolios: stands, branding, branded items, features etc.
- Design and manage floor plans
- Manage the whole design process for the event signage and show guide
- Manage the tender process for the design, build and delivery of features
- Methodical filing and record keeping
- Responding quickly and calmly to requests from delegates, speakers, sponsors and exhibitors pre-event and onsite. The ability to remain calm in high pressure environments is important.
- Consideration and management of health and safety issues and decisions; compiling a full and comprehensive health and safety file for the events including risk assessments and Construction Phase Plan, ensuring all documents are thoroughly checked and verified
- Work alongside the event teams to deliver virtual events, supporting with platform set up, speaker liaison, design features and live stream coordination
- Work alongside the event marketing teams to support with the setup of the event app/ online platform, ensuring that the back end is set up accurately and effectively to fulfil the event’s needs. Work with the event teams to coach delegates and sponsors on how to use the technology and support with all meeting scheduling and content uploads.
- Accurate and timely communication of cash flow for all operations costs, ensuring internal payment processes are followed and payments are made on time
- Post show evaluation and development
- Available to travel worldwide
- Attend training courses as directed by Line Manager
- Collaborate with other operations teams across the business and take part in working groups
- At all times representing Clarion Events in a professional manner
- Day to day management of a junior operations team member
- Demonstrate clear and effective communication of ideas and processes to reporting staff
- Coach, encourage and inspire reporting staff with ideas, objectives, and goals to improve their personal performance and personal development
- Lead by example
- Monitor and evaluate reporting staff progress and report this up to Head of Operations
- Complete staff appraisals as necessary
- Able to identify and assist management with improvement and implementation of best practice
Knowledge, Skills, Attitude and Behavior:
- Proven experience in the international conference and exhibition industry
- Prior experience in running digital events is beneficial
- Experience of setting up and managing online event apps and meeting scheduling platforms is valuable
- Organised and methodical
- Experience of working on multiple projects at one time
- Proven experience of creating and managing event operations budget, future planning, forecasting and delivering on target.
- Familiar with the e-Guide & g-Guide and experience of managing onsite Health & Safety
- Health & Safety Course qualification – preferably IOSH Managing Safely.
- Excellent communication skills
- Keen to embrace and learn to use new technology and IT systems
- Able to deal with a broad range of people at every level
- Self-motivated, pro-active and able to take responsibility
- Able to work within a team
- An astute negotiator
- Problem solver
- Attention to detail
- Prepared to work long hours and weekends
- Ability to meet deadlines and resolve problems under pressure
- Effective time management
About Clarion Events
Clarion Events is one of the world’s leading event organisers, producing and delivering innovative and market-leading events since 1947. (https://clarionevents.com/welcome)
Clarion Events embrace diversity and equal opportunities in all that we do. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. The more inclusive we are, the better our work will be.
Clarion is private equity backed and owned by Blackstone. Blackstone is one of the world’s leading global investment funds, investing capital for the long term in order to build successful, resilient businesses. (https://www.blackstone.com/)
Our purpose is to deliver exceptional customer outcomes and experiences, by making every connection count.
Our vision is we want every one of our products to be a market leader in customer satisfaction and delight.
To apply, please contact Charlotte.firstname.lastname@example.org