Operations Assistant (Defence)
The Defence & Security Portfolio has a series of market-leading events currently based in the UK, Europe and Asia. These range from confex style events to large scale exhibitions. All are market leaders within their ‘space’ and the next 12 months will see us continue to expand and innovate both in new geographies and on new platforms.
Combining the new technologies and our ambitious growth plans – now is an exciting time to be joining both this portfolio and Clarion Events.
A vacancy has arisen for a dynamic Operations Assistant to work within the Defence Operations team. We are looking for an organised and pro-active individual who can fit into our busy and hardworking team, working across a varied mix of confexes.
The role will mainly be office based, but will work onsite at events when required. Therefore, any candidates applying should be willing to adapt to the onsite environment with all its unique pressures.
- Work as part of a team delivering the operations for large exhibitions, supporting on various key tasks with guidance and support from a manager
- Assist in organising onsite events including exhibitor drinks from conception to completion with guidance and support from a manager
- Production and timely communication of correct and detailed technical manuals for exhibitors.
- Manage exhibitor, sponsor and partner logistics to ensure all agreements are fulfilled as sold and agreed by the Sales and Marketing teams.
- Respond quickly and calmly to all requests from sponsors, partners and exhibitors pre-event, post event and onsite.
- Liaising with speakers and content teams to confirm all onsite logistics and travel for each event.
- Ensuring all show administration is kept up to date consistently, working alongside all team members with managing exhibitor lists, contractor lists, special requirements and processing all relevant forms.
- Developing the necessary understanding of show elements appointing new suppliers where relevant and where appropriate negotiating costs.
- Assist in managing suppliers and orders for event signage, AV, venue, catering, cleaning, temporary staff, accommodation and additional sponsorship deliverables within a pre-set budget with guidance and support from a manager
- Attend meetings with internal team members, suppliers and venues, contributing as necessary adding value to the event, taking minutes for circulation. Minutes should be relevant to all parties involved in each show and sent in a timely manner.
- Engaging in post-show evaluation and show development, bringing new ideas and establishing what works with support of a manager.
- Participating in regular floor plan checks with the sales team, to include communicating any changes to the external floor plan department and overseeing their work.
- Assisting with general office management such as monitoring of stationery needs, placing orders, and keeping all office & store areas tidy and well organised.
- Preparing the Operations equipment and documents ready to take on site. For example, copying floor plans, onsite folders, packing all necessary items and arranging their transportation.
- Demonstrate clear and effective communication of innovative ideas and processes that can add value to the operations team and events.
- Ensuring all written documentation for exhibitors and sponsors is kept up to date and amended with the necessary changes, for example, changes in legislation, changes to venue rules or show requirements.
- Develop an understanding of health & safety procedures and assist with show documentation and undertake training as directed by your line manager.
- Constantly looking to improve knowledge, skills and understanding of each event and processes.
- Ensuring systems and processes used for keeping show admin data up to date are as efficient and thorough as possible.
- Manage the onsite delivery of any association related events.
- Support the running of virtual events, that might include; platform set up, design features and live stream coordination.
- Assisting the Operations Manager/s with any other ad hoc tasks as required.
- Collaborate with other operations teams across the business and take part in working groups
- Representing Clarion Events in a professional manner at all times
Knowledge, Skills & Behaviours:
Relevant and useful experience:
- Experience in the event/exhibition industry
- Previous operational experience
- Exhibitor management
- Managing travel arrangements
- Working with venues and suppliers
- Meeting deadlines and resolving problems under pressure
- Health & Safety (not essential)
- Experience of using digital event platforms
- Organised and methodical
- Attention to detail
- Strong social and communication skills
- Productive approach
- Positive ‘can-do’ attitude
- Self-motivated and able to take responsibility for tasks
- Able to work within a team and independently
- Problem solver
- Flexible approach to working hours – working weekends and evenings when required onsite
- Able to manage time effectively
- Work calmly under pressure
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment
- Highly organised and capable of multi-tasking
- Good communication skills – able to deal with a broad range of people at every level
- Keen to embrace and learn to use new technology and IT systems
- Display the Clarion Defence & Security portfolio values of: Respect, Honesty, Ownership and Growth Mindset.
Computer skills needed:
- Competent using Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook)
- The successful candidate is expected to build strong relationships with our suppliers and exhibitors and deliver great customer service.
- They will have a customer-first mind-set
- We put our customers at the heart of what we do, so it is important that you do too.
About Clarion Events:
Clarion Events is one of the world’s leading event organisers, producing and delivering innovative and market-leading events since 1947. (https://clarionevents.com/welcome)
Clarion Events embrace diversity and equal opportunities in all that we do. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. The more inclusive we are, the better our work will be.
Clarion is private equity-backed and owned by Blackstone. Blackstone is one of the world’s leading global investment funds, investing capital for the long term in order to build successful, resilient businesses. (https://www.blackstone.com/)
Our purpose is to deliver exceptional customer outcomes and experiences, by making every connection count.
Our vision is we want every one of our products to be a market leader in customer satisfaction and delight.
To apply, please contact Sophie.email@example.com